The day view
The day view is your main screen and where you work off your tasks.
By default it shows you all tasks scheduled for today (to-do list for today).
Use forwards/backward keyboard arrows to go to other days.
Click cmd+down arrow to go back to today.
The Master List is where you store all your tasks and projects.
Go to the Master List by clicking the scroll icon at the bottom in your day or press "M".
There are three basic item types:
- Task: Single action to be taken.
- Project: A collection of tasks to be completed.
- Category: a static place to sort projects and tasks into.
Tasks and projects can be made to recur automatically (they get scheduled to specific days).
To quickly add tasks and projects to Marvin press the spacebar to open the quick add input at the top.
Use the arrow keys or mouse to switch between adding a task/project and use the input shortcuts to quickly add any data to the task (e.g. filing it, adding labels, due dates, scheduling them etc.)
Adding items directly to lists
Use the buttons below existing lists to add items.
Some of these buttons only show on hover (like in the day view).
You can also use shortcuts to add items:
- shift + t for tasks
- shift + p for projects
- shift + c for categories
Interacting with Items
Hover over items (categories, project, tasks) to interact with them via their mini buttons.
To edit an item, click on its title directly or select the task (click it) and press tab on your keyboard.
Change attributes about the task (due date, labels, do date, duration estimates etc.) by adding a task input shortcut:
- "Call Jane +tomorrow" - to schedule it for tomorrow
- "Math final due 12/11/2018" - to assign a due date
- "Pick up candles @city" - to add a label
- "Make dentist appointment #Health" - to file it in a category
Drag and drop
- Drag and drop items to re-order them.
- Drag and drop tasks into projects and categories.
- Drag and drop items from the sidebar into the interface on the right to schedule them, plan them, put them on a calendar etc. (depends on the overlay).
Schedule a task to give it a do date. This means you intend to do this task on a specific day.
To assign a do date:
- Click the calendar icon on the right of the task
- Use the task input shortcut "+" -> "Call Seth +tomorrow"
- Drag the task from the Master List sidebar into a day
Assign due dates to projects or tasks with a deadline.
To assign a due date:
- Click the edit icon (cog) on the right of the task and pick a due date from the dropdown
- Use the task input shortcut "due" -> "File taxes due 3/27/2018" or "File taxes due 5d"
Navigating to other pages
The bar at the bottom of the page is used to navigate to other screens (e.g. Master List, calendar, planning etc.).
Other views open up on top of the day view as fullscreen overlays.
Any overlay or dialog can be closed with the "esc" key.
Get a full list of shortcuts in-app by clicking the question mark at the top right and then "shortcuts".
These work from anywhere in the app.
Overlay specific shortcuts
These are specific to the overlay you are currently on (e.g. calendar, Master List etc.)
Press "?" on your keyboard to get the overlay specific shortcuts based on where you are.
Some important shortcuts:
- Spacebar to quickly add tasks and projects
- Shift + S to open the Search dialog
- Shift + Spacebar to navigate to any project or category
Customization & Features
In the day view, click the menu at the top right and go to "Strategies" or press "S" on your keyboard.
Turn features on/off with the toggle switch.
Click the strategy cards to learn more about each strategy.
Use the settings in the main menu to customize your overall experience (interface, themes, sound etc.)